Saturday, May 22, 2010

One month milestones


Yesterday (Friday) marked 4 weeks since Caiden was born, and tomorrow (May 23) will be his official 1 month birthday!  Don't worry- we're not breaking out the cake and ice cream just yet! Last weight check on Wednesday was 7lbs, 8oz. I thought I'd give you an update on the milestones that he's achieved this month: (from http://www.ivillage.com/babys-first-year-developmental-milestones/6-a-127191)
 
By the end of month one a baby typically:
  • Lifts head for short periods of time- his neck already seems pretty strong- though not yet controlled
  • Moves head from side to side- he's been doing this for several weeks, although he prefers the left side
  • Prefers the human face to other shapes-not sure, I'd like to think he likes looking at me, but he really likes staring at the patterned side of his travel bed
  • Makes jerky, arm movements- definitely!  poor guy his himself in the face quite often
  • Brings hands to face- always trying to get his hands in his mouth, we've resorted to mittens so he won't keep cutting his pretty face with his nails.
  • Has strong reflex movements- his legs are very strong!
  • Can focus on items 8 to 12 inches away- I think so, but not sure how to tell that he can focus :)
  • May turn towards familiar sounds or voices- especially mine, since I provide the food!
  • Responds to loud sounds- usually with a startle reflex
  • Blinks at bright lights- mainly squints
After meeting with a lactaction consultant this week, we also introduced a pacifier.  Caiden has a strong need to suck- and as I mentioned before- I had been nursing him for over an hour at a time.  After the feeding consult, the lactation consultatant said that he was getting his nourishment in about 15 minutes and then was using me as a pacifier for the rest of the time. He's still not quite sure about it, but likes it after awhile.  I video'd it so once I figure out how- I'll put the video up.  Here's a couple of other pics.


Contemplating the meaning of life:

Trying out the Wubbanub- a gift from Atlanta pal Reid:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews