Thursday, April 28, 2011

12 month milestones

Many people say that a "baby" changes to a "toddler" when he or she turns one- but I am having a hard time with that.  Caiden is my little baby, and even though he is getting bigger he will be my little baby.  I can't believe that a year has passed already! Everyone told me it would go fast and while there were some weeks that just crawled by, most of the days just flew by.  I have enjoyed spending every day with my little boy and feel so fortunate to be able to have done so!  I can't wait to catch up on my scrapbooking from his first year so I can go back and relive all the fun again!
Caiden had his 1 year check up with the pediatrician today.  Poor thing got 4 shots! He is 29" long (25th percentile), weighs 19lbs 11oz (10th percentile), and his head is 48cm (70th percentile). So it looks like he is small and lean with a lot of brains :)

Here are his 12 month milestones:
•Sitting independently
•Pulling up, cruising, walking with assistance- he is so close to walking on his own, I'm not rushing him though!
•Reaching and grasping, including pincer grasp
•Looking for dropped or hidden objects
•Responding to name
•Self-feeding; using a cup
•Cooperating when you dress him
•Playing games such as peekaboo
•Using gestures such as pointing and waving
•Gets mad when something is taken away

As I have probably said many times before, it is so much fun to watch develop. Here are some of his favorite activities:
  • pushing his walker or dump truck... doing laps around the house... monster-trucking anything in his way
  • "preaching": giving long "sermons" with his hands in the air
  • putting things into containers and taking them back out again. this was especially evident with the Easter eggs and basket!
  • likes to share (I'm sure this is short-lived). He will hand me puzzle pieces to hold while he is playing, or he'll try to give me some of his food.
  • wants to hold the pen/pencil and "write" when he sees me writing. he did this while we were at the doctor's office this morning and she was very impressed with his fine motor skills!
  • loves to eat and try whatever foods we are eating. All foods are fair game now (except for anything that might be a choking hazard)
I know I'm forgetting something, but it's time for bed! Hasta la proxima!

1 comment:

  1. He's still your baby, Erin! IMHO, the toddler stage starts at 18 mos! (As grandchildren get older, I'll keep "upping" that number!)

    I'm off this weekend to get Caiden's framed wall-art piece & will coordinate the colors you gave me! I LOVE projects & thanks for trusting me with this special one!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews